The night before I want to make this, I put everything except the broth in a crock pot bag and keep it in the fridge overnight. That way the only things I have to do is stick the bag in the crock pot and add the broth. This is a Swanson recipe that i really like.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (Regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
If you have time, marinade the beef with some olive oil, lots of salt and pepper and some garlic
Season beef with black pepper. Coat beef with 2 tbsp. flour. Heat oil in 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until well browned, stirring often.
Place potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with beef. Add 3 cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.
Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 11 hr.* or until beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Stir remaining flour and broth in small bowl. Stir flour mixture and peas in cooker. Turn heat to HIGH. Cover and cook 15 min. or until mixture boils and thickens.