Mike had this at a restaurant once and asked if i could try to make it today. We were at the Fish market and were able to get nice fresh shrimp. If you make it with frozen shrimp, make sure it’s raw.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the garlic and slowly stir in the grits. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are tender, 20 minutes. Prepare BBQ Shrimp and Sausage while waiting for grits to cook.
- When grits are tender, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheese, butter and cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
BBQ Shrimp and Andouille Sausage
- Homemade BBQ Sauce or a bottle of prepared sauce
- 1 pound of peeled and cleaned, raw shrimp
- 1 package of andouille sausage, cut into chunks
- In a large skillet, bring BBQ sauce to a low boil on Med/low and add sausage (you can grill the sausage a little beforehand to give it more flavor) Let the sausage simmer in the sauce for a while, while waiting for the grits.
- about 5 minutes before the grits are done add the shrimp to the skillet and let simmer until fully cooked.
Serve on Cheese grits.